Licensed Childcare Program Assistant
Job Title: Licensed Childcare Program Assistant Department: Licensed Childcare
Position Type: Permanent, Fulltime Number of Positions: 2
Hourly Rate: $18.53/hour Bargaining Unit: Unionized-CUPE Local5239
Posting Date: February 10, 2020 Posting Close: February 21, 2020
East York/East Toronto Family Resources (EYET) is a non-profit multi-service agency providing a range of services, resources and supports to individuals, families and the community in key areas: early learning and child care, housing, outreach and community services within a community development and capacity building framework. EYET is committed to accountability, responsiveness, inclusion, innovation and collaboration. EYET offers a competitive salary wage and has a great supplementary benefits package (including dental) which is 100% employer paid, in addition to a generous vacation and sick credit package.
EYET is currently welcoming applications from qualified candidates for the position of Program Assistant, to support meal and food preparation, regular housekeeping duties, as well as support program delivery as required. The Program Assistant will work with direction from the Program Supervisor to organize and distribute catered snacks and lunches to the various age groups. The Program Assistnat is also responsible for food preparation, washing/sanitizing dishes, laundry, and the general upkeep, cleaning, disinfecting and organization of the Centre’s preparation kitchen and common areas. They will also be responsible for assisting in program and service delivery, assisting with meeting all licensing requirements, and for following established legislation, regulations, policies, and protocols such as Safe Food Handling and Workplace Health and Safety.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Assist in purchasing snack food and supplies and planning of snack menus.
- Prepare, organize, distribute and set-up the centre’s catered snacks and lunches to the appropriate age grouping program according to the centre’s policies and procedures and legislation.
- Support all program staff in their efforts to maintain an inclusive, multicultural and anti-bias atmosphere for the children and their parents and caregivers.
- Remain current in knowledge of and actively practice all procedures related to safe food preparation and service, allergies, emergencies, fire, evacuation; medical attention, etc.
- Maintain safe, clean, disinfected, and well-organized preparation, storage, and common areas, according to centre’s policies, procedures and legislation.
- Ensure daily equipment cleaning and disinfecting checklists are completed, promptly informing the supervisor of any malfunctioning, damaged, or broken equipment.
- Complete housekeeping duties including meal preparation and distribution, dishes, cleaning and disinfection of program centre surfaces, sinks, toys, sweep, mop, dust.
- Confirm that program rooms and washrooms have an adequate supply of personal hygiene and cleaning products for the day.
- Maintain a list of basic supplies and submit to Supervisor for ordering on a monthly basis.
- Confirm that menus, food substitutions, and allergy lists remain current.
- Provide program information and statistics needed to purchase, prepare, plan, and effectively allocate portions of meals and snacks.
- Completion of Ontario Second School diploma or a General Education Diploma (GED) required, as a minimum.
- Minimum of 2 years experience working as a housekeeper within a licensed childcare environment or similar.
- Knowledge of and experience working with Health & Safety standards and legislative requirements of the Child Care Early Years Act (CCEYA), Toronto Public Health, and Children’s Services Early Learning and Care Assessment for Quality Improvement.
- A minimum of 2 years experience working with culturally diverse children, families and/or caregivers in an early years’ setting using Early Learning for Every Chid Today (ELECT) and/or Family Support Principals.
- Must have current, valid government approved certification for Safe Food Handling, as certified for any Health Department
- Must have a current Standard First Aid with CPR – C (Infant and Child)
- Fluent oral and written English language communication skills; the ability to speak another language will be considered an asset.
- The ability to work both independently and within a team context.
- Medical required – including TB, 6 months current to hiring date.
- Able to lift weights and carry loads of up to 15 kg for distances of up to 100 m; able to bend in order to pick up items from shelves less than 30 cm from the floor; able to push wheeled serving carts carrying weights of up to 45 kg.
- Basic computer literacy skills (e-mailing, word processing and basic trouble shooting)
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com being certain to include “Program Assistant Hiring Committee” in the email subject line no later than 4:30 p.m. on Friday February 21, 2020. Applicant resumes and cover letter should be sent as a single PDF or MSWord document saved using a filename that includes the applicant’s first and last names.
Only e-mailed applications will be accepted. No telephone enquiries, please. Individuals from equity- seeking groups are encouraged to apply.
Interviews may be scheduled prior to the closing date of the job posting. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.