Early Childhood Assistant (ECA)
|Job Title: Early Childhood Assistant (ECA)||Department: Licensed Childcare|
|Status: Permanent, Part-time (30 hours/week)||Number of Positions: 1|
|Hourly Rate: $19.13/hour Posting Date: November 22, 2019||Bargaining Unit: Unionized, CUPE Local 5239 Posting Close: December 6, 2019|
East York East Toronto Family Resources Organization (EYET) is a non-profit multi-service agency providing a range of services, resources and supports to individuals, families and the community in key areas: early learning and child care, housing, outreach and community services within a community development and capacity building framework. EYET is committed to accountability, responsiveness, inclusion, innovation and collaboration and operates within an anti-oppression framework.
EYET is currently seeking experienced Early Childhood Assistant applicants (ECA) for position in the EYET school-based Child Care Centres. The Early Childhood Assistant (ECA) will work within all age groups of the centre (toddler, pre-school and kindergarten).
The successful Early Child Care Assistant (ECA) applicant, with direction from the Childcare Centre Supervisor, will effectively and efficiently assist in implementing daily program plans and curriculum that reflect a complete range of activities, encourage growth and development in each child, and provide a stimulating and safe environment; assist in program evaluation; follow and assist in maintaining all licensing requirements, required regulations, policies and protocols; support early identification services; collaborate with staff of the Early Learning and Care Team, EYET, partner agencies, volunteers and student placements; maintain constructive relations with parents and caregivers, and work to achieve specified ELC departmental outcomes and deliverables within the context of the EYET Mission and Strategic Plan.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Assist with the development and implementation of daily programming, for the assigned age group.
- Interact and participate in a constructive, collaborative manner within the child care centre staff team and other partnership teams, including kindergarten teachers and other community partners.
- Participate actively in program planning, evaluation of curriculum, and inclusive programming for children with ages ranging from 1.5 – 9 years, and implementation/delivery of departmental work-plan deliverables that adhere to the Child Care and Early Years Act and the City of Toronto’s Assessment for Quality Assurance (AQI).
- Maintain a safe, clean and organized work-space environment.
- Maintain a positive early learning environment that is physically and emotionally safe and respectful for all, children, parents and colleagues.
- Identify and meet designated needs of all children as an individual and as a group.
- Take part in daily `housekeeping’ of centre including the preparation snacks as required, playground set up, etc.
- Model positive adult/child relationships and support parent involvement and capacities;
- Actively participate in team and agency wide meetings;
- Strong computer literacy (Outlook, Excel, e-mail,) and ability to troubleshoot basic computer issues/problems.
- ECA Diploma/Certificate.
- Not less than 2 years’ experience working within a childcare environment.
- Experience working with young children from diverse families, multicultural communities, and an excellent understanding of the theory and practice of family support programs.
- Knowledge of the Emergent Curriculum, Early Learning, and How Does Learning Happen? frameworks.
- Demonstrated practice engaging families and communities who have experience marginalization, isolation, etc.
- Adaptable to a flexible, fast-paced work environment.
- Able to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Flexible to work schedules with rotating shifts from 7:00am to 6:00pm.
- Current certificate in Standard First Aid and Infant/Child CPR.
- Current up-to-date immunization record, including TB 6 month’s current to hiring date.
- Strong and effective written and verbal English language communication skills; knowledge of a second language is considered an asset.
- Demonstrated commitment to anti-oppression principles.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com certain to include “Early Childhood Assistant-FT (ECA) Hiring Committee” in the email subject line no later than 4:30 p.m. on Friday December 6, 2019. Applicant resumes and cover letter should be sent as a single PDF or MSWord document saved using a filename that includes the applicant’s first and last names.
Only e-mailed applications will be accepted. No telephone enquiries, please. Individuals from equity- seeking groups are encouraged to apply.
Interviews may be scheduled prior to the closing date of the job posting. Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.