Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)

LEAP Program

If your household is qualified as a “Low-Income Household” you may be eligible for the Low-income Energy Assistance Program. The LEAP program offers a once a year grant towards your Hydro or Enbridge services.

General Information

  • LEAP provides assistance up to $500.00 for Hydro, and $400.00 for Enbridge.
  • If your arrears are greater than the grant amount you may be eligible for the Emergency Energy Fund (EEF).
  • An Emergency Energy Fund is a once in a lifetime grant that may cover the costs of the remaining utility arrears.
  • If your household currently receives Ontario Works (OW) or Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) you DO NOT QUALIFY FOR EEF. You must speak with your worker for the remaining funds.

If you do not qualify for EEF and you DO NOT RECIVE OW OR ODSP, you must make a payment arrangement with the utility company to continue the process for a LEAP Grant.

To start applications for Enbridge please call the United Way at 1-855-487-5327to start the application process.

Eligibility Information

  • The bill must be in your name
  • If the bill is not in your name:
  • Person’s whose name is on the bill MUSTreside at the residence and be PRESENT at the application appointment
  • Bill must be changed to applicant’s name. If the company is unwilling to change the name due to an amount owing please contact us directly and inform the receptionist who will direct you to the program worker.
  • If you are employed, receiving Canadian Pension Plan (CPP), Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP), Employment Insurance (EI), or Insurance payouts you do qualify for Rent Bank. You must provide 2 payment stubs.
  • If you have just started a new employment opportunity and have yet to receive 2 payment stubs, you must provide a letter from the employer stating how many hours you work and your rate of pay.
  • If you are self-employed you must provide a ledger of income made or awaiting receipt, as well as expenses for your business.
  • A copy of your lease must be provided.
  • If the lease is not in your name you may provide:
  • Mail that is addressed to you at the address
  • Legal Affidavit from a Legal Clinic stating you live at the address
  • A letter from the Landlord saying you are a resident
  • If you are a roommate one or both of you may apply.
  • If only one roommate is applying they can only apply for their share of the rent.
  • The landlord must provide a written letter stating the amount that is paid and has been paid by each roommate.
  • If there are dependents in the household who are UNDER 21 and are in school they must provide a school timetable.
  • If there are dependents in the household who are OVER 21, they must provide proof of income or a student timetable.
  • You may also be requested to provide the following:
  • 30 days of bank statements for all accounts regardless of the amount in the accounts
  • Child Tax Benefits Stub
  • Child Support Documentation
  • Day Care Receipts
  • Photo Identification
  • Birth Certificates
  • Copy of Current Utility Bill